Trying to Understand My Feelings Toward Joanna Newsom

2.11.2010 Leave a Comment

Joanna Newsom is adorable. This is clear. After all, she has a twee voice and plays the harp. And, appropriately, her music is just as adorable. And yet, I can't help feeling slightly repelled by the bizarre music she creates. Like some kitschy mix of harpsichords and harps with a childlike wharbled voice, it's not difficult to understand how her music doesn't appeal to some people. It's much for difficult for me to understand why I like her music.
Maybe it's because her music is simultaneously happy and sad, reminding me both of a sunny day and a lonely walk.  Clearly she's doing something right if my words describing her end up coming out like a poem written by a ~depressed~ preteen.
Listen to her new songs and think about the mystery of Joanna Newsom for yourself.

 Joanna Newsom- Kingfisher @ hypem.com
Joanna Newsom- '81 @ hypem.com

photo via last.fm

0 comments »